Poisonous Peanut Butter?

Poisonous Peanut Butter?

Image Credit: Flickr


My pups love peanut butter. We often tuck their daily pills inside a sticky spoonful to encourage them to take the medicine. However, not all peanut butter is safe for dogs.

Lately, I’ve been hearing that peanut butter manufacturers are adding xylitol, a natural sugar alcohol sweetener, to peanut butter. Xylitol is not safe for dogs to eat!

I recently read an article on DVM360 Magazine about xylitol in peanut butter and how it affects dogs.

Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT, DABVT, associate director of veterinary services for Pet Poison Helpline and SafetyCall International says this peanut butter additive can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and hepatic necrosis (liver failure) in dogs. She also says pets can die quickly from eating xylitol.

Bottom line: Read peanut butter jar labels. If it contains xylitol, don’t risk making your pet sick. We use Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter (it’s just peanuts and salt), if you’re looking for a safe brand to try.

Until next time,
Choose healthy!

PS: Xylitol is also a common ingredient in sugar-free chewing gum. Do not share this with your pets either!

Comment Using Facebook


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.