I used to be addicted to pre-made veggie burgers.
I’d browse the colorful boxes in the freezer section at the grocery store and wonder which one to try next. Some were made with beans, others with a mix of puréed vegetables. But, if you read the ingredient lists closely, there would be a few dozen other ingredients that really didn’t need to be there.
So, for the last few years, I’ve ventured into making my own burgers. It’s so silly easy, I wish I would have started doing this much sooner!
I’ve worked with chickpeas, black beans, and most recently, fava beans. The other night I whipped up a tasty, simple bean burger mix that has the best texture yet. Plus, it only takes a few ingredients and can be modified to your taste without any trouble.
Fava Bean Burger Recipe
Servings: 6 burgers or 24 small meatballs
- 2 cups, rinsed, soaked and boiled Fava beans (I leave the skins on to add texture to the burgers.)
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Place the beans into the basin of a food processor. Be sure the beans are cool if you are using fresh boiled beans. Give them a spin in the food processor to break them apart.
- Add the oatmeal, egg and garlic to the beans. Pulse the food processor to help the ingredients combine.
- Carefully remove the food processor blade, then scoop out the “burger batter”.
- Form the mixture into burger patties or meatballs. Place them on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze them for an hour. Then, move the burgers to a sealed freezer bag or storage container.
- When it’s time to cook a burger (or meatballs), add a small amount of olive or coconut oil to a pan and lightly cook the patty on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until the burger begins to lightly brown. Enjoy!
Add some chopped fresh herbs, such as basil and oregano to make an Italian burger, or meatballs.
Add a half cup of diced veggies, such as carrots, onions or celery to the mix to add extra texture, flavor and color.
Do you make homemade bean burgers? Share a link to your recipe in the comments below!
Until next time,
PS: Visit Cupcakes and Yoga Pants on Facebook!