Back in high school I worked at a little family-owned Italian restaurant in the evenings and on weekends.
Everything was homemade. Each day they measured, mixed and kneaded the dough to make bread and pizza crusts. Meatballs were formed by hand. And, I’d be asked to look away as they created their signature oil and vinegar salad dressing. Nobody could know the special ingredient.
Unfortunately, I still don’t know what magic they mixed into that container, but it was heaven drizzled on a fresh bowl of greens.
Every once in awhile I try to re-create that masterpiece. This past week I made a vinaigrette that’s pretty darn good — and super easy to toss together just before dinner.
Easy Homemade Italian Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Use a funnel to place all the ingredients into a small glass bottle, then put on the cap. (I upcycled an old sweet and sour sauce bottle.)
- Shake it up.
- Store the mixture in a cupboard or pantry (not the refrigerator) and give it a good shake just before using.
It is fabulous! Look at it glisten on that salad. I bet you can taste this zesty, bold dressing right now, can’t you? Enjoy!
Until next time,
PS: Visit me on the Cupcakes and Yoga Pants Facebook page!