Over the past few weeks, I’ve been conducting a little experiment with Cupcakes and Yoga Pants. The feedback and ideas have been eye-opening and helpful as I work to improve and refine the purpose and offerings from my healthy lifestyle blog.
I am incredibly thankful for my readers.
For those who don’t know, there’s this blog here (what you’re reading now) and there’s a corresponding Facebook Page. I add a new post to this blog each Tuesday morning and periodically share updates on the Facebook Page.
The two have worked together in tandem for a few years, and like all well-oiled machines, need to be evaluated and tuned up on occasion. Behind the scenes, I’ve been trying to figure out where you, my faithful readers, like to hear from me. Is it here on the blog? Or, on Facebook? Or is it as an incognito observer on both?
I’ve been digging into metrics behind the scenes, carefully reading comments and reviewing private messages from readers during the month of November.
Here are a few key takeaways I’ve gleaned from this experiment:
- Everyone doesn’t use or enjoy Facebook. Shifting the blog content primarily to social media would be a mistake.
- Many of my core, faithful readers do use Facebook and find it simpler to comment on posts as they appear in a feed they are checking daily anyway. Going directly to a website to read and comment is almost outdated.
- I have several passive readers who enjoy my content and speak up only when I reach out to them. But, most of the time, they like to quietly read, enjoy and move on. That’s fine with me.
- It’s a common misconception that every blogger is simply out to increase numbers. More followers. More viewers. More shares. Honestly, I’m trying to find a way to be the most helpful to both me and my audience. Quality, focus and inspiration are number one to me.
- As a society, we are overloaded with content. Sometimes having yet another notification in your inbox is stressful. On the other hand, sometimes emails are helpful so you don’t miss a post. I’m viewing my outreach with two sets of eyes.
- I tend to comment directly on social media posts from blogs, after clicking through and reading the blog post. Sometimes I get caught up on the website and start clicking around and reading other posts. I rarely go directly to a website or comment directly on it.
- Everyone likes something different, and to appease more readers, it’s probably best to keep comments open both on the blog and on Facebook. I’d hate to alienate a faithful reader after more than eight years!
- People are listening and reading, even if they don’t communicate with me. My reach is greater than I realized, and it warms my heart! (I can see data on the back side of the blog and Facebook.)
- For the analytics-minded readers who also blog, amazingly, my numbers on the back end (views, followers, engagement, reach, subscribers) have steadily been increasing, despite not publishing any new posts on the blog in the month of November.
- The most important business aspect of this blog for me is how the traffic is flowing in and out, and that’s stayed right where I want it to be. I love that readers enter from my professional writing portfolio, social media and search engines and exit via the same avenues. This blog is a sample of one of my writing styles and several marketing collaborations, that clients can hire me for.
- The most important personal aspect of this blog for me is to create a safe, loving, open-minded forum where I can both share my health journey and listen to your ideas, issues and opinions. The genuine care that flows between me and my readers is immeasurable.
Like a good mantra, I need to keep coming back to this blog’s tagline, “Making Healthy Decisions One Day at a Time” and present whatever falls inline with my purpose. I think we can all agree on — and benefit from — that.
Until next time,
PS: Visit me on Facebook at Cupcakes and Yoga Pants!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links or advertisements. I earn a small commission if you shop through them, which helps fund this website so I can continue to bring you amazing content. All opinions are my own.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin!