I’ve been mixing up my breakfast routine. After snagging a copy of 200 Best Smoothie Bowl Recipes by Alison Lewis, I’ve been giving these creamy, fruity treats a try first thing in the morning.
So, what’s a smoothie bowl you ask?
It’s a thicker version of a smoothie, served in a bowl, topped with chopped fruit, nuts and seeds! Most of the recipes in this book feature fruits, vegetables, yogurt or juice as the main ingredients.
Sometimes the combinations are more on the dessert side, than breakfast. I was drooling just looking at the ingredients: crushed cookies, ice cream, chocolate chips, chopped candy bars. I will try one of those recipes when I need a quick dessert idea!
However you decide to make them, smoothie bowls are a fun alternative to sipping your meal. I enjoy having a full bowl of deliciousness to sit down to and eat with a spoon in the morning. It’s weird, but chewing my breakfast (rather than drinking it) seems a little more satisfying. Do you agree?
Here is one of the recipes featured in the book. It’s a nice combo of protein, carbs, vitamins and fiber.
Complete Breakfast Smoothie Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla-flavored yogurt (I used plain and it wasn’t too tart after mixing in the fruit.)
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds (flaxseed meal)
- 1/2 frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced peaches
- Ice cubes (I used 1/4 cup of cold water to thin out the mixture since my peaches were frozen.)
Blueberries, raspberries, golden raisins, dried cranberries, unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped pecans, ground flax seeds
- In a blender, combine yogurt, flax seeds, banana and peaches. Secure lid and blend from low to high until smooth. Add ice (or cold water) a little at a time, blending until you reach the desired consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with any of the suggested ingredients above. Or, get creative and add your favorite fresh chopped fruits or nuts! I decided to go with coconut, strawberries and chopped pecans. It was amazing!
Have you ventured into smoothie bowls yet? Tell me about your favorite flavor combinations!
Until next time,
Disclosure: The cookbook mentioned in this blog post was provided in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts presented on Cupcakes and Yoga Pants are my own. ~Angela